Seven Ways to Take the Waste out of Holidays
- Plan ahead. Making a list and checking it twice will save time, money and last-minute shopping frenzies!
- Consolidate your shopping trips. Spending fewer hours driving to malls and shopping centers means less wasted gas, time and stress.
- Bring your own reusable shopping bags instead of taking single use plastic bags. Try and avoid taking a store bag for a single item.
- Canceling 10 unwanted mail-order catalogs by calling their toll-free number will reduce your trash by 3.5 pounds per year.
- Start a savings account or give savings bonds as gifts for kids.
- Make your own festive, personalized gift wrap using materials you already have around the house.
- Keep it simple. Less can be more. Think carefully about what gifts friends and families really need.
DID YOU KNOW…?
- …if each family reduced holiday gasoline consumption by 1 gallon, greenhouse gas emissions would be reduced by 1 million tons.
- …if each family reused just 2 feet of holiday ribbon per year, the annual savings would be 38,000 miles of ribbon – enough to time a bow around Planet Earth!